Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Needle Felting

Needle felting - an apparently extremely dangerous hobby, especially with small children/clumsy ladies around. It involves stabbing a pice of wool repeatedly with a sharp barbed needle, until the platelets on the surface of the wool fibres are roughed up and can mesh together. Like a pantene advert in reverse. But in actual fact it is an extremely satisfying way of moulding wool, and not dangerous at all! I haven't stabbed myself once! (yet). This is one of my first experiments, which has really opened up a world of applique to me. I hate sewing, so it's wonderful to be able to felt the fibres together instead of sewing them! It is like painting with yarn! The textures are fantastic.



This is my own beret, knitted by me, specially for me after lots of thought. I chose a Shetland aran weight yarn from Jamieson and Smith in an oatmeal/beige/off white/cream colour with hints of pink and heather. The needle-felted applique is also in Jamieson and Smith's wool (it felts really very well), with yellow highlights from the ends of a lovely homespun wool from Colouritgreen.


After shopping around I bought my first needle felting supplies from Blooming Felt, an online felt emporium set up by a felter who found felting supplies to be under-represented on the internet. I recommend it very highly - you get a personal friendly service, and they have everything you need competitively priced - all boxes ticked!




No comments:

Post a Comment